Monday, April 11, 2011

Personal Post, Time Savings

This post is a bit more personal than some of the others I have posted. This weekend I was talking about couponing with a friend. She told me that she didn't feel that she had the time to coupon, between work and the kids, it was to much. To each his own, but I have to admit I was a little bit offended as it made my pursuit to save money feel trivial.

This is a new experience for me, to get this involved with couponing. I tend to jump in to new things with both feet first, not looking to see what is below me, what things involve. An Example of this is when Kara Lewis and I decided that we wanted to be just like Christina from the Thoroughbred series. We had a slumber party one night, we were early teens, a bit over exuberant. Kara, to those that know her, is a great rider, much like I try to be. Anyway, we decided we were going to teach Rose, my now 22 year old grade (mostly QH) mare to jump.. she was probably 10 or 12 at the time. We didn't have jump standards, just 55 gallon drums, bales of hay, cedar posts, and buckets. Rose had never jumped in her life. next morning we got up and set up a course. Good thing Rose has always been up for a challenge. Picture this.. no arena, just a hard packed driveway, English saddle, and 2 daring young girls. We took turns, me first. Its amazing we didn't break anything, not one of the 3 of us. We had 55 gal drums set up with cross rails, bails of hay with single rails, and buckets filled with water. Many bruises, run outs, and falls later we decided we were champion jumpers. Not. Thanks to Fran Arthur, I eventually learned to jump, so did Rose. Yes, I do not always think ahead.

But saving money is a big thing this day in age. Especially to me. With 2 kids in diapers, formula because I depressingly lost my milk due to injury, medical bills, horses, household bills, everything, being able to save $20 a week makes me feel good. that $20 in one week adds up to 1 week of child care in a month. Yeah! and the fact that I normally save between $20 and $0 easily in one week adds up. I do not have to buy diapers for Abby for the next 6 months, if she stays in size 3's. If she doesn't, I can exchange at Walmart for the next size up. Logan is set for about 2 months for day time and 3 months for overnight diapers. I am now giving some of my coupons away in trade for formula checks and coupons. Something that costs a pretty penny.

4 hours a week. Max. That is all you need for basic couponing. You can get more involved or less involved, depends on what you want. I buy a Sunday Detroit paper, because Alpena paper suck for coupons. (not their fault, its the couponing...) I get 2 Smart Sources, 1 Red Plum, costs $2. Tons of savings. I also get the All You magazine. In March, they had $5 off coupons for Good Start Formula. The subscription cost me $11 for a 2 year subscription. Can't beat it. I get a few others, hoping that the Amazon codes will come back. If they do, I will let you guys know and teach you.. Awesome deals.

We all get Mommy Time, whether it be a half hour after the kids go to bed or an hour when the hubby gets home. I watch TV and cut, organize, and plan my shopping trips when I can. Usually on Sundays.. I get a headache, but my eyes suck. I print off good coupons when I see them. It helps that I "liked" mamacheaps, Frugal Living, Money Saving Mom, Coupon Mom, P & G Everyday solutions, Faithful Provisions, and many more pages on my Facebook Page. All the best deals delivered right to my desktop/phone. I see something I like or use? Click, then click print. 30 seconds.

We all have things that we would love to do, rather do, which ever. This summer I may slow down a bit on couponing. Between truly potty training Logan (hints please!), riding horses (thank you God!) and doing my family adventures, along with all of the projects that must be done around the farm, I will be lucky to fall into bed around midnight. But I hope to keep saving. Starting This week, the amount that I save at whatever stores I frequent will be going into our savings account.  This will allow me to get a larger safety net, emergency fund, whatever you want to call it. I worry about money because i like it. So why not save it if I can?

Thanks you all, for letting me show you it doesn't take much, that jumping into somethings with 2 feet first can, at times, be the best way to do something. 

~Rachar

No comments:

Post a Comment